May 24, 2016 | POV’s daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
Missed The Return on PBS last night? You can watch the full film online for free here,
11 Essential Twitter Follows for Documentary Filmmakers
When you’re busy making your film, it can feel impossible to stay on top of grant deadlines and opportunities, festivals, and general industry goings-on. But knowing about these things can be essential to completing and distributing your film, and what better way to stay in the know than on Twitter?
Read more | No Film School »
The Millennial Who’s Disrupting Disruption
Alexander Heffner, the producer of The Open Mind, the Q&A news show that airs nationally on PBS stations on the World Channel on Sundays, talks about continuing his grandfather’s legacy with a more diverse audience. Heffner’s show brings to mind non-buzzwords like “venerable” and “august,” as he allows guests to think freely and out loud.
Read more | Medium »
IDA Documentary Awards Call for Entries Now Open
The IDA Documentary Awards announced its call for entry yesterday, so be sure to start applying now! Entry is made into one of the seven main award categories: Feature, Short, Episodic Series, Curated Series, Short Form Series, Limited Series, and the David L. Wolper Student Documentary Award. The early deadline is June 7.
Read more | IDA »
BuzzFeed is building a New York-based Team to Experiment with News Video
BuzzFeed is well-known for their funny and shareable videos, and the company is taking steps to insert more news into its video operations. Several producers are moving into BuzzFeed’s New York newsroom to lead an effort to develop a more concerted video news strategy, redesigning its homepage and news app to allow for direct video playback.
Read more | Nieman Lab »
Memo to Distributors: Buy These 2016 Cannes Film Festival Movies
Cannes isn’t always the easiest place for smaller, stranger films to find buyers, but they still exist once the festival ends and deserve to find homes. Here are some of the highlights IndieWire thinks distributors should consider in that regard.
Read more | IndieWire »
Upcoming festivals and deadlines
- DocsBarcelona International Documentary Film Festival 5/23-5/29
- Deadline: IFP Spotlight on Documentaries 5/24
- Rolling Applications: ITVS LINCS Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Center for Independent Documentary Collaboration Application 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Ford Foundation Grants 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: ITVS Commissioned Funding 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Japanese Foundation New York Grant for Arts and Culture 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Jerome: NYC Film and Video Grant Program 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Bertha BRITDOC Documentary Journalism Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Humane Society’s Ace Documentary Film Grant 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Scottish Documentary Institute Consultancies 6/1
- Encounters South African International Documentary Festival 6/2-6/12
- Deadline: Late Submission for DOC NYC 6/3