- Teaching Op-Docs: Starting with the Big Questions
For a junior-level course this semester, I am using The New York Times's Op-Doc series as a model for talking about journalism, documentary, and online video.
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: Doug Block on 'Sherman's March'
"[It] was, by turns, quirky and smart, comic and thematically serious, very personal yet highly entertaining, with an auteur's voice stamped indelibly on every frame. It was pure revelation."
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: Marshall Curry on 'Sherman's March'
"When I was first considering taking a leap into the professional abyss of filmmaking, there was one documentary, more than any other, that shouted out, 'Come on in, the water's great!'"
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: Caveh Zahedi on 'Diaries'
"His film is the hidden source that feeds the river of personal documentary filmmaking."
- Brown Bears Are Good at Making Documentaries (But Are They The Best?)
Proud Brown University alumnus Doc Soup Man Tom Roston thinks his alma mater has outdone all others in producing great documentary filmmakers.
- 'More Than A Month' Channels Moore, Spurlock and Woody Allen in Journey to End Black History Month
Edward J. Delaney talks to director Shukree Tilghman about his tongue-in-cheek cross-country campaign (and documentary) to end Black History Month.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #8: Cinéma Vérité Pioneer Richard “Ricky” Leacock Dies
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- Where Are the First-Person Women Documentarians?
With Tiffany Shlain's personal documentary Connected wrapping up its theatrical run, Doc Soup Man Tom Roston asks why the best known first-person documentarians are men.
- Doc Soup: The Glittering Docerati at the Cinema Eye Honors
So, how about those Golden Globes! What, who cares? That’s right — all of you doc lovers know that the real big night in documentary film wasn’t in L.A. on Sunday (the Hollywood Foreign Press doesn’t even have a nonfiction filmmaking category) — it was last Friday, when the third annual Cinema Eye Honors took […]