- AMERICA REFRAMED UNFILTERED: People Do Care
In the following UNFILTERED blog post, the team behind Gentlemen of Vision share how audiences connect to authentic characters and heartfelt storytelling.
- Understanding the Colombian Peace Process Through Documentary Film
The nonfiction films that illustrate some of the main causes of the Colombian armed conflict and its peace process.
- When Documentary Filmmakers Direct Political Ads
When documentary storytelling intersects with political advertising.
- How Documentarians Have Covered Donald Trump Throughout the Years
A look at the past and present documentaries that have covered Donald Trump.
- Upcoming Event: The Documentary Filmmaker as Journalist
What are the challenges of working in both the documentary and journalism spaces? Find out at the International Documentary Association’s upcoming Doc U panel discussion.
- Upcoming Events
This week, five different films screen in five cities throughout the US, covering topics such as politics, genocide, and aging.
- Next on POV: Koch
Few have matched the bravado, combativeness and egocentricity that Ed Koch brought to the New York City Mayor's Office during his three terms. Watch Monday on PBS, and join the discussion with the filmmaker and Koch's Chief of Staff.
- Spread the Word in the Final Hours! 'Getting Back to Abnormal' Premieres Tonight
Getting Back to Abnormal premieres tonight on PBS. Check out our Storify round-up to see how people are using Tweets and Facebook posts to let their community know about the films. Use our partner toolkit for easy ways to help spread the word.
- Now Streaming: Girl Model, Scout's Honor, Granito, A Perfect Candidate, and 4 Shorts from the PBS Online Film Festival
POV now has four great feature-length documentaries streaming for free on its website: Scout's Honor, Granito: How to Nail a Dictator, When the Mountains Tremble, and A Perfect Candidate.
- A Political-Documentary “Reality Check” with Jonathan Goodman Levitt of “Follow the Leader”
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012, Paley DocFest will screen Jonathan Goodman Levitt's political coming-of-age documentary.
- Watch 'The Fifth Star' in Honor of Women's History Month
A young filmmaker tells the story of the fight for women's suffrage in Washington State, framed by the stories of women in politics today.
- From Occupy Wall Street Protester to Live Documentarian
Thorin Caristo, an amateur cameraman, joined the Occupy Wall Street movement on Day One as a protester, but he was quickly persuaded to join its media team. Now livestreaming videos around the clock from Zuccotti Park, Caristo lets us in on how he's documenting a burgeoning social-media uprising.
- Watch 'The Most Dangerous Man in America' Online as POV Marks the Pentagon Papers' Big 4-0
POV is marking the 40th anniversary of the publication of Pentagon Papers with a special opportunity to watch The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers online.
- POV Alumni Featured in 2011 TIME 100 List
Late last week, TIME magazine published its 2011 TIME 100 list, featuring a group they deem to be “the most influential in the world.” TIME describes those chosen as people whose “ideas spark dialogue and dissent and sometimes even revolution.” Cory Booker and Patti Smith TIME Magazine This year’s list includes two POV alumni: Newark, […]
- SXSW Spotlight: 'Better This World' Filmmakers Q&A
POV veteran filmmaker Katie Galloway (Prison Town, USA, POV 2007) and Kelly Duane de la Vega will be premiering their new film, Better This World (POV 2011) at the South by Southwest Film Festival this weekend in Austin, Texas. The story of Bradley Crowder and David McKay, who were accused of intending to firebomb the […]
- 'New Muslim Cool' Producers Speak at U.S. State Department
New Muslim Cool co-producers Kauthar Umar and Hana Siddiqi wrote in to tell us about “Generation Change,” a U.S. State Department event held last week in Washington, D.C. toasting some of the best and most innovative American Muslim leaders under the age of 30. With much excitement and anticipation we arrived in Washington, D.C. last […]
- Whatever Happened To… Shelby Knox?
Remember Shelby Knox, the subject of our 2005 film, The Education of Shelby Knox? Shelby was a feisty teenager from Lubbock, Texas that filmmakers Marion Lipschutz and Rose Rosenblatt followed in their amazing documentary. The self-described “good Southern Baptist girl” who had pledged abstinence before marriage became an unlikely advocate for comprehensive sex education when […]
- “Patti Smith: Dream of Life” Review Roundup
Wednesday night’s POV broadcast of Patti Smith: Dream of Life (9 pm most PBS stations, check local listings) has been generating a lot of critical acclaim in the press and online. Sign On San Diego‘s Remote Possibilities blog names it a “TV Pick of the Week” and part of a “Genius Blowout” when coupled with […]