- American Documentary Announces $100,000 Knight-AmDoc Kickstarter Patron Fund supported by Knight Foundation
The $100,000 program, supported by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, will use Kickstarter to advance nonfiction film and media projects and help filmmakers promote their work in the 26 cities where Knight invests.
- Sam Green on Crowdfunding A Live Documentary with the Kronos Quartet
Filmmaker Sam Green on crowdfunding A Thousand Thoughts, a "live documentary" in which he will appear alongside the Kronos Quartet.
- Dispatches from IDFA: All the Young Dudes
Kel O'Neill discusses the lack of diversity at the IDFA DocLab conference, and the effect of its absence.
- “Tell Me Something” Features Advice From Fifty of the World's Best Documentary Filmmakers
Doc Soup Man interviews Jessica Edwards, editor of "Tell me Something," an in-progress photography and creative advice book from fifty of the world's best documentary filmmakers.
- My Brooklyn: Replicating Their Model in Your Community
Kelly Anderson, Director of "My Brooklyn", sheds insight into her successful community engagement strategy.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- Years After a Festival Run, 'U.N. Me' Filmmakers Take a DIY Path to a Theatrical Release
U.N. Me, the first film from director/producers Ami Horowitz and Matt Groff, had a modest festival run starting in 2009. Now, almost three years later, they've raised the money to release the film themselves.
- Why Ewing & Grady Are Choosing to Self-Distribute 'Detropia'
The filmmaking team behind The Boys of Baraka, Jesus Camp and 12th & Delaware tells Doc Soup Man why they're self-distributing their new documentary, the lyrical Detropia.
- 6 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
What's the best way to ensure success online? Read six tips for engaging your audience from Elisabeth Holm (Kickstarter), Gary Hustwit (Helvetica), Julie La'Bassiere (FilmBuff) and Mike Knowlton (StoryCode, Murmur).
- Introducing the Digital Bolex
The Digital Bolex, a 2K camera that shoots 24p and costs around $3,000, is set to be introduced later this year.
- Celebrating World Happy Day with Roko Belic's 'Happy'
Did you know that February 11 was World Happy Day? That's because Roko Belic made it up for his documentary Happy.
- The Iran Job & Tips for Managing a Viral Fundraising Campaign
On Monday, a documentary about an American basketball player in Iran ended a 50-day campaign that generated $100,000 in donations at the buzzer on Kickstarter after major media hits with CNN, The Huffington Post and The Wall Street Journal. The Iran Job's Till Schauder tells Adam Schartoff how his team managed the campaign.
- Kickstarter Campaign Secrets from Record-Breaking Documentary Director Jennifer Fox
Jennifer Fox raised a record-breaking $150,000 on Kickstarter - the most raised for a finished film and the most per donor. Watch the interview with Fox to find out how she did it.
- Documentary Year in Review Countdown #7: 'My Reincarnation' Breaks Records on Kickstarter
POV is counting down the top documentary stories of 2011 on New Year's Eve 2012.
- Holiday Crowd-Fundraising Tips from 7 Documentary Insiders
The holiday season is no holiday for documentary producers looking to raise funds, but some documentarians say it's as good a time as any.
- A Holiday Gift Guide for Documentary Fans and Documentarians
Watch, Make, Learn! This year give the gift of documentaries. For once, we mean it literally!
- 'Indie Game: The Movie' Rides $100,000 in Kickstarter Donations to Sundance 2012 Premiere
With Sundance's 2012 lineup announced, guest blogger Edward J. Delaney highlights the unconventional approach of one of the selected docs and its filmmakers, Lisanne Pajot and James Swirsky.
- 'Granito' Filmmakers Make a Run for 2012 Oscar Consideration with Kickstarter Campaign
Veteran POV filmmakers Pamela Yates and Paco de Onís (The Reckoning, POV 2009) have launched a unique campaign on Kickstarter, the site that utilizes the power of crowds to get filmmakers, musicians, writers, designers and other artists the money they need to make a creative project happen. Since launching in 2009, the community crowdfunding site […]