- Felicia Pride on How to Make Space for Creativity
The challenges and joys that stem from the business of creating.
- Are Meaningful Conversations Considered Social Impact?: A Lesson from Grace Lee Boggs and American Revolutionary
Active Voice Program Director Sahar Driver shares takeaways from their engagement strategy and partnership with The World Cafe around POV's "American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs".
- #docchat: “How to Get Your Film on Public Television” with POV's VP of Programming & Production Chris White
Join the video chat on Google+ this Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 1-2 PM (10-11 AM PT), and ask your questions about how to navigate the public television submission process.
- 10 Secrets for Making the Most of Your Film's Broadcast Premiere
Picture Motion's Alexandra Pearson and Megan Ryan take us behind the scenes of the social impact campaigns of five remarkable films that aired on CNN, HBO, OWN and POV.
- The White House Highlights Circle of 6 App and “The Line”
Nancy Schwartzman reports back on The White House's call to action and awareness of rape and sexual assault on college campuses. Her mobile app, Circle of 6, won The White House Apps Against Abuse Challenge.
- #docchat: Documentary Engagement Strategy: Creating a Lasting Impact on Google+ (May 6, 2014)
Ask your questions about documentary engagement strategies for last impact on Google+! Tuesday, May 6, 12:30-1:15 PM ET / 9:30-10:15 AM PT.
- POV’s 2015 Call for Entries is Officially Open!
Films submitted to this open call will be considered for the 2015 broadcast season and beyond. The deadline for submission is Monday, June 30, 2014.
- POV + Public Libraries: Partnering to Enhance Civic Engagement
In 2013, POV took part in a study exploring the impact of community screenings of documentaries in public libraries on civic engagement. Explore the findings.
- For Filmmakers: DIY Digital Distribution Platforms
So you've made your film... Now you start the biggest challenge of them all: getting it seen. We've complied a list of digital self-distribution platforms and asked each one why documentary filmmakers should pick their service over all the others.
- Lucy Winer (“Kings Park”) on Making a Career in Documentary Filmmaking
The filmmaker of Rate It X and Golden Threads is wiser after releasing many documentaries the "traditional way" and has turned to a new model for making a living as an independent filmmaker.
- For Filmmakers: Documentary Filmmaking Resources from POV
Check out our new resource for documentary filmmakers that covers everything from funding opportunities to online video platforms to "engagement" strategists you can hire for your film.
- Recommended Reading: The “360 Equation”: The One Business Model Every Filmmaker Needs To Know
Marc Schiller of BOND360 explains his company's approach to independent distributing.
- Vimeo Is All About Filmmakers With Its New Self-Distribution Service
Vimeo announced its new self-distribution service on Tuesday, so how does it work? Is it easy to use?
- Dear Mandela: A South African Film Finds an American Audience
Dara Kell shares her experience self-distributing the documentary Dear Mandela. The film airs on Black Public Media's AfroPoP on Tuesday, January 29, 2013.
- My Brooklyn: Replicating Their Model in Your Community
Kelly Anderson, Director of "My Brooklyn", sheds insight into her successful community engagement strategy.
- Kickstarter: Tips from Three Successful 2012 Doc Campaigns
If you're thinking about fundraising for your documentary on Kickstarter, here are some words of wisdom from three successful campaigns in 2012.
- Seed&Spark: Introducing a New Platform and Ecosystem for Independent Film
This Saturday, December 1, Seed&Spark will roll out its platform, aiming to provide a whole new ecosystem for the funding and distribution of independent films.
- Could More Docs Be Box Office Contenders With Larger Distribution?
Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, The Imposter, and Searching for Sugar Man have had impressive earnings at the box office recently, which begs the question: could these have been big box office contenders with a larger distribution and marketing campaign?