- Reviewing the 2013 Oscar Shortlist
Tom Roston takes a look at this years docs which are contenders for Academy nominations, referencing that the list proves it was a strong year for documentaries.
- The Greatest Documentaries of All Time: Heidi Ewing on 'The Monastery: Mr. Vig and the Nun'
Ewing lauds the Danish film for capturing a great story about a true introvert.
- Why Ewing & Grady Are Choosing to Self-Distribute 'Detropia'
The filmmaking team behind The Boys of Baraka, Jesus Camp and 12th & Delaware tells Doc Soup Man why they're self-distributing their new documentary, the lyrical Detropia.
- My Five Favorite Documentaries from True/False Film Fest 2012
Tom Roston recaps the Midwestern film festival True/False, where he saw a slate of inspiring documentaries including How to Survive a Plague, The Imposter, Bully, Searching for Sugar Man and Undefeated.
- A Preview of the 2012 True/False Film Fest
Tom Roston gives a rundown of the films he is looking forward to seeing at the True/False documentary festival, as well as some of the quirky events he hopes to catch while he's there.
- The Sundance 2012 Documentary Winners
Any documentary filmmaker will tell you that getting a film into Sundance is a Herculean achievement in itself, but some also come away with an award. Check out a rundown of the 13 prizes given to documentaries at this year's festival.
- Sundance 2012: The Man Behind the Docs Selling at Sundance
So far, who’s the most important person in docs at Sundance this year? A festival organizer? A doc subject? A director? Or none of the above?