- Oscar or Oscan't: Doc Soup Man Predictions for Best Documentary Feature
Doc Soup Man's Academy Award predictions are in, and he had to let a few favorites go.
- Hollywood's Opportunity for a Referendum on Scientology
Alex Gibney's documentary Going Clear is giving Hollywood the chance to say, "This Scientology crap isn't what we're about."
- Sundance and Beyond: Doc Watch 2015
Doc Soup Man shares his list of documentaries he's looking forward to in 2015, including three premiering at Sundance Film Festival, beginning on Thursday, January 22, 2015.
- #365Docs: The Armstrong Lie (28/365)
I'm watching 365 documentaries and writing about each one in 2014. Tweet your suggestions to @documentarysite.
- Cinema Eye Honors: No Losers Here
Tom Roston recaps winners and highlights from the 2014 Cinema Eye Honors at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens.
- “Stuck” and Why We Shouldn't Discount Documentaries Used Primarily as Tools for Change
Tom Roston questions why documentaries held in high regard have to be about "storytelling" and "cinema."
- An Overview of the Docs at TIFF
With the Toronto International Film Festival having kicked off at the end of last week, Tom Roston provides a short list of his must-see docs in the festival this year.
- 10 Documentaries to Look Forward To in 2012
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston's list of 10 documentaries he's eager to see in 2012 includes picks that are way off the radar or a figment of his imagination.
- Doc Soup: A Documentary Dispatch from the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival
Doc Soup Man Tom Roston recaps the 2011 Toronto International Film Festival and previews films you can hope to see in theaters in the coming months.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Alison Ellwood on 'Magic Trip'
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff talks with filmmaker and editor Alison Ellwood, whose new documentary as co-director, Magic Trip, screens at BAMcinemaFEST 2011 in New York City.
- BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Three More Nonfiction Recommendations
Freelance journalist Adam Schartoff gives nonfiction fans in New York City three good reasons to get to Brooklyn's Fort Greene over the next few days for BAMcinemaFEST 2011: Anne Buford's Elevate, Alison Ellwood and Alex Gibney's Magic Trip and Charlie Ahearn's Jamel Shabazz Street Photographer.
- BAMcinemaFEST Kicks Off Third Season Bringing Blue Chip Docs to Brooklyn
Freelance journalist and film programmer Adam Schartoff previews the documentary slate at Brooklyn's BAMcinemaFEST, June 16-26, 2011.
- Doc Soup: Doc Highlights at the Toronto International Film Festival
What a great film festival. Maybe it’s how lovely Toronto is in September. Maybe it’s the enthusiastic audiences. Maybe it’s the great restaurants. Or maybe it’s how the festival treats otherwise art-house fare like big blockbusters. These are just a few of the reasons I have always loved the Toronto International Film Festival over the […]