June 2, 2016 | POV’s daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
Celebrate LGBT Pride Month with these POV documentaries!
28 Asian-American Filmmakers You Need to Know
Asian-Americans are underrepresented when it comes to Hollywood, both on and behind the cameras. From blockbuster directors to ones behind earnest indie dramas, here’s a list of famous and not-yet-famous names of Asian-American filmmakers, including POV filmmaker Grace Lee. It’s hardly complete, but it’s a place to start if you’re interested in Asian-American talent behind the camera.
Read more | Buzzfeed »
Q&A: Syria’s Gaya Jiji, Winner of Cannes/Kering’s Women in Motion Award, On Challenges Faced by Female Directors in Syria
One of Syria’s rare women directors, Gaya Jiji recently won the Women in Motion Young talent Award along with Leyla Bouzid and Ida Panahandeh. While the prize is not part of the official selection, it was given by Cannes Film Festival’s artistic director Thierry Fremaux and president Pierre Lescure. Jiji fled her home country and is currently developing her first feature debut in Paris.
Read more | Variety »
Can a ‘Crowdfunded Studio’ Help Indie Filmmakers Make a Living?
‘I am Thalente’ was the first film distributed by indie crowdfunding site Seed&Spark. The director, Natalie Johns, as well as Seed&Spark Founder/CEO Emily Best discuss more about the film, the future of crowdfunding, and this new distribution model.
Read more | No Film School »
11 Films We Cannot Wait to See at the 2016 Los Angeles Film Festival
It’s the second day of the Los Angeles Film Festival. and there are already endless lists of anticipated films from the festival. Indiewire has picked out 11 titles they’re most excited to see, including films from first-time filmmakers, returning favorites and some of the indie film community’s most respected names.
Read more | Indiewire »
10 Semi-finalists of Podquest
Earlier this year, PRX’s Radiotopia launched Podquest—an open call out for new podcast ideas, aiming to grow and diversify the network, nurture fresh talent and reach new audiences. Check out the top 10 semi-finalists here.
Read more | PRX »
Opening Windows Holographic to Partners for a New Era of Mixed Reality
As part of the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft announced yesterday Windows Holographic, a mixed reality platform. The goal is to build in the human, environment and object understanding into already existing platforms to provide different user interfaces and interaction.
Read more | Windows »
Upcoming festivals and deadlines
- Rolling Applications: ITVS LINCS Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Center for Independent Documentary Collaboration Application 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Ford Foundation Grants 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: ITVS Commissioned Funding 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Japanese Foundation New York Grant for Arts and Culture 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Jerome: NYC Film and Video Grant Program 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Bertha BRITDOC Documentary Journalism Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Humane Society’s Ace Documentary Film Grant 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Scottish Documentary Institute Consultancies 6/1
- Deadline: Late Submission for DOC NYC 6/3
- Encounters South African International Documentary Festival 6/2-6/12
- Early Deadline: IDA Documentary Awards 6/7
- Deadline: NEH Digital Projects for the Public 6/8
- Sheffield Doc/Fest: Sheffield International Documentary Festival 6/10-6/15