May 23, 2016 | POV’s daily list of essential reading for the documentary and independent filmmaking community.
POV’s 29th season launches tonight with The Return, on PBS
The Journey from Syria, Part One
Starting today, The New Yorker, in collaboration with Field of Vision, founded by Laura Poitras, AJ Schnack and Charlotte Cook, will feature Matthew Cassel’s documentary, The Journey. The six-part documentary follows the story of a Syrian jeweller named Aboud Shalhoub as he seeks asylum in Europe.
Read more | The New Yorker »
The New Chinese Documentary: Building the Bridge between East and West
In recent years, independent filmmakers have turned toward the participatory, with filmmakers working with subjects, telling their stories not only for audiences but for and with marginalized communities themselves, sometimes explicitly as part of organizing or advocacy. The article mentions Nanfu Wang’s Hooligan Sparrow, who uses hidden cameras and guerilla techniques in following a human rights advocate. The film is part of POV’s 29th season and is set to air in the fall.
Read more | International Documentary Association »
69th Festival de Cannes Awards
Find out the prizewinners from the 69th Cannes Film Festival, which concluded yesterday. The much acclaimed Palme d’or award went to Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake.
Read more | Festival de Cannes »
Werner Herzog Artificial Intelligence Simulator ‘WernerBot’ Lets You ‘Talk’ to the Director Directly
Werner Herzog’s upcoming internet documentary Lo and Behold, Reveries of the Connected World doesn’t yet have a release date, but he wants to tell you to read. The WernerBot, a new Facebook page created by Van Gould and Chris Sheldon, allows audiences to chat with the singular filmmaker.
Read more | No Film School »
A $50,000 Artist Grant to Do Something Different
The United States Artists’s unrestricted grants give diverse artists around the United States an opportunity to focus fully on their crafts. The fellowships are awarded yearly in nine creative disciplines through an extensive peer nomination review.
Read more | The Creators Project »
Upcoming festivals and deadlines
- DocsBarcelona International Documentary Film Festival 5/23-5/29
- Deadline: IFP Spotlight on Documentaries 5/24
- Rolling Applications: ITVS LINCS Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Center for Independent Documentary Collaboration Application 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Ford Foundation Grants 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: ITVS Commissioned Funding 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Japanese Foundation New York Grant for Arts and Culture 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: Jerome: NYC Film and Video Grant Program 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Bertha BRITDOC Documentary Journalism Fund 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Humane Society’s Ace Documentary Film Grant 6/1
- Rolling Deadline: The Scottish Documentary Institute Consultancies 6/1
- Encounters South African International Documentary Festival 6/2-6/12
- Deadline: Late Submission for DOC NYC 6/3
Get more documentary film news and features: Subscribe to POV’s documentary blog, like POV on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @povdocs!