Update: This workshop has ended (watch the video at http://youtu.be/oFRzF6uxiIk) and the giveaway winners have been announced. Thank you to all who participated and submitted questions.
In the next #docchat, ask your questions about documentary filmmaking tools and equipment! DSLR Video Shooter founder Caleb Pike and Emmy award-winning visual journalist Richard Koci Hernandez will be providing demos of gear for documentarians in a live video chat, and they’ll be taking your questions. The chat will take place on POV’s Google+ page on Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 12:30-1:15 PM ET (9:30-10:15 AM ET).
Let us know that you’re interested in attended by RSVPing in the form below, and you’ll be entered in a giveaway to win a DVD of a POV film or a poster of POV’s The United States of Documentaries. See the official giveaway rules »
Here is an overview of the event:
Where: Online on POV’s Google+ page
When: Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 12:30-1:15 PM ET (9:30-10:15 AM ET).
Who: Richard Koci Hernandez is a national Emmy award winning video and multimedia producer. He is an Assistant Professor for New Media at the Graduate School of Journalism at UC Berkeley. His work has appeared in Time, Wired, The New York Times, a National Geographic book and international magazines. Caleb Pike is a camera operator, editor and podcaster based in Chicago. His experience branches from documentary and commercial, to film and educational material. In 2010, Caleb started DSLR Video Shooter where he podcasts, writes reviews, and shares tools and techniques for filmmakers.
What: The panelists will provide demos and offer answers to filmmakers’ questions about documentary filmmaking gear and software.
How: Go to the Google+ event page to watch the live video. Let us know you’re coming and get your questions in early by RSVPing on the Google+ event page. You can also leave your question as a comment on this post or by tweeting with the hashtag #docchat. If you are accessing the chat via a mobile device, you will need the Hangouts app which must be synced to YouTube. Download the app for iOS or Android devices. If you miss the event, revisit this page later for a recorded video of the discussion.
Watch the full video of the chat at http://youtu.be/oFRzF6uxiIk.
POV ‘Documentary Equipment Chat’ Giveaway (“Promotion”) 2014 OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS PROMOTION IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older. Employees, contractors, directors and officers of American Documentary, Inc./POV ( “Sponsor”), its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and the web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Promotion agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Promotion (collectively, “Promotion Parties”), and the immediate family members of each such person (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such person (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Promotion) are not eligible to participate or win a prize.
2. PROMOTION PERIOD: Promotion begins on Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 1:50 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 1:00 p.m. ET (the “Promotion Period”). The Web Site server is the official clock for this Promotion.
3. TO ENTER: There are two (2) methods of entry: Via Twitter.com and via the Web Site. To enter via Twitter: create a non-private Twitter account and follow the account @povdocs. Creation of a Twitter.com account is free. To follow the account @povdocs, sign in at Twitter.com using your Twitter ID, then go to http://twitter.com/povdocs and click on “Follow”. You can then receive one (1) entry into the Promotion by sending a non-private “Tweet” during the Promotion Period with a comment with the hashtag “#povdocsgiveaway”. Enter using only a Twitter account registered in your name. In the event of a dispute, the natural person associated with the Twitter account used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. To enter via the Web Site: Go online to http://www.pbs.org/pov/ (the “Web Site”), during the Promotion Period and follow the on-screen directions to complete and submit the online entry form to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion. You will be asked to submit a comment (comment is optional and will not affect your chances of winning; winner will be selected in a random drawing as described in Section 4 below). Your comment submission is referred to herein as a “Comment.” Comments must be in English and may not exceed 500 characters. Limit one (1) Entry per person and/or email address, regardless of methods of entry. Automated methods of entry are prohibited and any use of automated devices will cause disqualification. An email address is required to enter. Entrants may not enter with multiple email addresses nor may entrants use any other device or artifice to register multiple times or as multiple entrants. Any participant who attempts to enter with multiple email addresses or uses any device or artifice to enter multiple times will be disqualified and forfeits any and all prizes won, at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Comment must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been previously used for public display by any third party; must not infringe any third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; may not contain any reference to any third party trademarks, names or third party logos; and may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties. Submission of a Comment grants Sponsor and its agents the unconditional, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right to publish, reproduce, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such Comment in any way, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration or permission of the entrant, unless prohibited by law.
4. PROMOTION DRAWING, ODDS, PRIZES, AND RETAIL VALUE: One (1) Grand Prize winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Drawing will be conducted from all eligible entries received on or about April 15, 2014. By participating, entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules and the Sponsor’s decisions. Limit one (1) prize per person and/or household.
One (1) Grand Prize: A DVD for a POV film and a POV poster. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $25.
Four (4) Second Prizes: A POV poster. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $10.
PRIZE RESTRICTIONS/PRIZE CLAIM: Winners are subject to verification, including verification of age. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on their prize. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash redemption or prize substitution permitted, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Any difference in value between the ARV stated herein and value at time of prize notification will not be awarded. Sponsor does not make, nor in any manner is responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes including but not limited to their quality, fitness for purpose, or condition. Winners will be notified via e-mail or via Twitter (depending on method of entry) and will be required to provide address information. If any potential winner does not respond within seven (7) calendar days of first notification attempt, or if any winner rejects his/her prize, the winner will be disqualified and an alternate may be selected. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to substitute a prize with one of comparable or greater value. Federal, state, and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize winners. In the event of non-compliance with these Official Rules, or if a prize notification or prize is unclaimed or returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Promotion Parties resulting from user’s participation in, attempt to participate in the Promotion, or download of any information in connection with participating in the Promotion. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Promotion Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences, without limitation, that may affect the operation of the Promotion: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent to or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Promotion, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Promotion. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prize or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site or Twitter.com is at user’s own risk. Sponsor and the Promotion Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind that may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Promotion, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. As a condition of entering, entrants (or their parent or legal guardian if an eligible minor) agree (and agree to confirm in writing): (a) to release Sponsor and Promotion Parties from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to entrant’s participation in the Promotion and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize, including any traveling related thereto; (b) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs. Except if winner is a resident of Tennessee, or where prohibited by law, by accepting the prize, winner grants permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use his/her name, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without additional compensation. Use of Twitter.com is at user’s own risk
7. DISCLAIMER: COMMENTS POSTED TO THE PROMOTION WEB SITE MAY NOT BE EDITED BY SPONSOR AND ARE THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE INDIVIDUAL ENTRANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF SPONSOR IN ANY MANNER.
8. WINNERS NAME: For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, for receipt by April 24, 2014 to: POV ‘Documentary Equipment Chat’ Giveaway Winners List Request, 20 Jay Street, Suite 940, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
9. SPONSOR: American Documentary, Inc./POV, 20 Jay Street, Suite 940, Brooklyn, New York 11201.