You wouldn’t know by chatting with DOC NYC co-founder and doc czar Thom Powers that he just came out of a week of not being to sell tickets for his film festival. On top of that, he and his family were without power in their Montclair, New Jersey, home when Hurricane Sandy made landfall. But with undiminished zeal, Powers continues his agenda of forcing documentary entertainments on the New York populace, happily presenting the DOC NYC Season 3, which begins this week (November 8-15, 2012). Tickets are now selling quite well and with little wonder, considering the exceptional line up in the 2012 slate.
Opening night includes two films, the first of which, Artifact, follows the actor/musician/director Jared Leto and his band Thirty Seconds to Mars as they duke it out with their label in a contract dispute. The second opening night film, Venus and Serena by Maiken Baird & Michelle Major, follows the tennis star sisters from a prolonged period of unbelievable success to a difficult time when they were both contending with life-threatening medical problems to a return to the top of their games. Powers expressed much enthusiasm over the film. “There’s a great message in this film about two women who have achieved remarkable success 100% on their own terms,” Powers told me. “What I say to anyone who has a daughter is, ‘You’re competing with a billion dollar industry whose job it is to make your daughter feel bad about herself.'”
Two other films in this year’s line-up, Informant and West of Memphis, both return to subjects of well known recent documentaries.
Informant takes a look at secondary character from the Gotham Award-winning Better This World, which aired on POV in 2011 and 2012. Their film follows a pair of childhood friends from Texas who wind up being arrested on terrorism charges for planning to bomb the 2008 Republican National Convention. During the course of their story we’re introduced to the charismatic but complicated Brandon Darby, who is the focus of the new film directed by Jamie Meltzer. Both Darby and the documentary are fascinating in their own right.
In the case of West of Memphis, director Amy Berg revisits the terrible child murders and prolonged legal battles of the Paradise Lost trilogy. Why another documentary? Powers continues, “According to Damien Echols, one of the ‘West Memphis Three,’ it was an opportunity to tell the story in his own words.” It’s worth noting that Echols and his wife Lorri Davis whom he married while on death row, both share producing credits. The film, at the very least, acts as a companion to the earlier trilogy.
Getting the festival back on track, considering the vast planning required to pull something like this off in a city just besieged by Mother Nature, is no small task. But clearly Thom Powers and his team are up for the job. Speaking of his team, I will be moderating a number of events this weekend. Since I would enjoy having your company at those screenings in particular, DOC NYC is offering a pair of tickets for Saturday night’s 7:30 PM screening of Men at Lunch at the SVA Theater in Manhattan, and a second pair for the Saturday 9:30 PM screening of Amy Nicholson‘s Zipper at the same venue. Fill out the form below to enter the giveaway (and read full list of rules) by Thursday, November 8, at 4PM. We will announce the winners soon after.
For the full schedule of events and to purchase tickets, visit docnyc.net.
Get more documentary film news and features: Subscribe to POV’s documentary blog, like POV on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @povdocs!
POV ‘Enemies of the People’ Giveaway (“Promotion”)
2012 OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS PROMOTION IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE UNITED STATES. DO NOT ENTER IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES AT THE TIME OF ENTRY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
1. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 18 years of age or older. Employees, contractors, directors and officers of American Documentary, Inc./POV ( “Sponsor”), its parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and the web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Promotion agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Promotion (collectively, “Promotion Parties”), and the immediate family members of each such person (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or “step” of each) and those living in the same household of each such person (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Promotion) are not eligible to participate or win a prize.
2. PROMOTION PERIOD: Promotion begins on November 6, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) and ends on November 8, 2012 at 4:00 p.m. ET (the “Promotion Period”). The Web Site server is the official clock for this Promotion.
3. TO ENTER: There one method of entry: via the Web Site. To enter via the Web Site: Go online tohttp://www.pbs.org/pov/blog/ (the “Web Site”), during the Promotion Period and follow the blog post on-screen directions to complete and submit the online entry form to receive one (1) entry into the Promotion. (Winner will be selected in a random drawing as described in Section 4 below). Your comment submission is referred to herein as a “Comment.” Comments must be in English and may not exceed 500 characters. Limit one (1) Entry per person and/or email address, regardless of methods of entry. Automated methods of entry are prohibited and any use of automated devices will cause disqualification. An email address is required to enter. Entrants may not enter with multiple email addresses nor may entrants use any other device or artifice to register multiple times or as multiple entrants. Any participant who attempts to enter with multiple email addresses or uses any device or artifice to enter multiple times will be disqualified and forfeits any and all prizes won, at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Comment must be the original work of the entrant; may not have won previous awards; may not have been previously used for public display by any third party; must not infringe any third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; may not contain any reference to any third party trademarks, names or third party logos; and may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties. Submission of a Comment grants Sponsor and its agents the unconditional, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right to publish, reproduce, use, adapt, edit and/or modify such Comment in any way, in any and all media, without limitation, and without consideration or permission of the entrant, unless prohibited by law.
4. PROMOTION DRAWING, ODDS, PRIZES, AND RETAIL VALUE: No fewer than 10 winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received. Drawing will be conducted from all eligible entries received on or about November 2, 2012. By participating, entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules and the Sponsor’s decisions. Limit one (1) prize per person and/or household.
Two (2) prizes: One pair of ti8ckets to the DOC NYC screening of Men at Lunch & one pair of tickets to the DOC NYC screening of Zipper. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $66.
PRIZE RESTRICTIONS/PRIZE CLAIM: Winners are subject to verification, including verification of age. Winners are solely responsible for any taxes on their prize. Prizes are non-transferable and no cash redemption or prize substitution permitted, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Any difference in value between the ARV stated herein and value at time of prize notification will not be awarded. Sponsor does not make, nor in any manner is responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the prizes including but not limited to their quality, fitness for purpose, or condition. Winners will be notified via e-mail or via Twitter (depending on method of entry) and will be required to provide address information. If any potential winner does not respond within seven (7) calendar days of first notification attempt, or if any winner rejects his/her prize, the winner will be disqualified and an alternate may be selected. Prizes will be mailed out to the winners to the address provided during prize notification within 1 to 2 weeks of the end of the Promotion Period. Sponsor reserves the right in their sole discretion to substitute a prize with one of comparable or greater value. Federal, state, and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Grand Prize winners. In the event of non-compliance with these Official Rules, or if a prize notification or prize is unclaimed or returned as undeliverable, the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner.
6. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Promotion Parties resulting from user’s participation in, attempt to participate in the Promotion, or download of any information in connection with participating in the Promotion. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Promotion Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction arising in connection with any of the following occurrences, without limitation, that may affect the operation of the Promotion: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or Internet connectivity or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts or providers; garbled, jumbled or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent to or received; lost, late, delayed or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Promotion, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Promotion. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of prize or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on the Web Site. Use of Web Site or Twitter.com is at user’s own risk. Sponsor and the Promotion Parties are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or losses of any kind that may be sustained to user’s or any other person’s computer equipment resulting from participation in the Promotion, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site. As a condition of entering, entrants (or their parent or legal guardian if an eligible minor) agree (and agree to confirm in writing): (a) to release Sponsor and Promotion Parties from any and all liability, loss or damage incurred with respect to entrant’s participation in the Promotion and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize, including any traveling related thereto; (b) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential, or any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses; (c) all causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (d) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, excluding attorneys’ fees and court costs. Except if winner is a resident of Tennessee, or where prohibited by law, by accepting the prize, winner grants permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use his/her name, photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without additional compensation. Use of Twitter.com is at user’s own risk
7. DISCLAIMER: COMMENTS POSTED TO THE PROMOTION WEB SITE MAY NOT BE EDITED BY SPONSOR AND ARE THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE INDIVIDUAL ENTRANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF SPONSOR IN ANY MANNER.
8. WINNERS NAME: For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, for receipt by November 30, 2012 to: DOC NYC 2012 Ticket Giveaway, 20 Jay Street, Suite 940, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
9. SPONSOR: American Documentary, Inc./POV, 20 Jay Street, Suite 940, Brooklyn, New York 11201.