- A POV Intern's Perspective on Media, Impact and Viewer Responsibility
Community Engagement & Education Intern Marine offers her perspective on the impact of documentaries, and the responsibilities of viewers after credits roll.
- The Babel Project Connects Youth and Filmmaking
As many return to the second half of the school year, educational organization, The Babel Project and Global Kids are working together to bring documentary filmmaking into New York City schools.
- PBS Listening Tour Comes to New York City: A Report
PBS, ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, Indie Caucus and WNET hosted a full house on the Independent Film on PBS Listening Tour in New York City on February 23, 2015.
- POV's Annual Appeal Was a Huge Success!
We'd like to express our gratitude to POV's friends and family who supported independent documentary film by donating to POV and spreading the word over social media during our Annual Appeal.
- 5 POV Films to Watch This Valentine's Day
Spending a cozy night in with your loved one this Valentine's Day? Might we suggest these short docs -- all streaming right now on POV -- exploring the power of love in its many forms.
- Upcoming Events
This week, six screenings in cities across the country bring communities together to discuss and reflect through film.
- Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour Comes to New York City
The next stop of the Independent Film on PBS: The National Listening Tour will be in New York City on February 23, 2015. Save the date and RSVP!
- How to Experience Virtual Reality for Under $50
Virtual reality isn't just for the rich. We break down low-cost alternatives to Oculus Rift and similar devices that could bring VR to us all.
- Upcoming Events
This week, communities across the country commemorate Black History Month with screenings celebrating the life of civil rights leaders and engaging in critical dialogue about contemporary social issues.
- Report Back: 'The Genius of Marian' on Capitol Hill
On Monday, The Genius of Marian screened on Capitol Hill. Actor and activist David Hyde Pierce, Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), and Devon White Angelini, featured in the film, spoke at the event. Read more about the screening and discussion.
- Listening Tour Kicks Off in San Francisco: A Report
A report back from "Independent Film on PBS: A National Listening Tour" in partnership with ITVS, POV, Independent Lens, and WNET from San Francisco. The next event will be on February 23, 2015 in New York City.
- Documentary Streaming Free for MLK Day: 'Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin'
Long before Martin Luther King Jr. became a national figure, Bayard Rustin routinely put himself on the line as a crusader for racial justice. But he was also seen as a political liability because he was gay.
- In Memory of Kartemquin Films Co-Founder Jerry Blumenthal
Kartemquin Films founding member Jerry Blumenthal passed away in November. From POV's archive, watch an interview with Jerry Blumenthal and his POV documentary, Golub, which we are now streaming free.
- Regarding Independent Film on THIRTEEN and WLIW21
A joint statement WNET, PBS, ITVS, Independent Lens and POV regarding independent film on THIRTEEN and WLIW21.
- Our Ethical Dilemma / Nuestro Dilema Ético
Filmmaker Pamela Yates finds out she got a scene in her film When the Mountains Tremble wrong, and returns to Guatemala to investigate. Read and watch in English and Spanish.
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Explore the Real World in Virtual Reality
Fly through any city in virtual reality through your web browser and Oculus Rift with this new tool from POV. (And build on the source code.)
- POV Digital Storytelling Tools: Adding a New Dimension to Archival Photography
How the team from the interactive documentary Camp Century brought static photographs to life, and how you can use the technology for your next project.
- POV at NCSS and NCTE
POV was thrilled to be a part of the National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) conference in Boston this November. As always, we received a warm welcome from teachers and we're excited to showcase our educational resources alongside Independent Lens.